Soup is one of those dishes that is easy to make and usually comes out great with whatever ingredients you have in the kitchen. It can be nourishing, there are usually leftovers, and it tastes better on the second day.
So why don’t we make soup more often?
If you have been waiting for an easy, delicious, and low-carb soup that is also vegan and high in protein, look no further. This vegan bean soup with pasta is not just packed with fiber, antioxidants, and plant-based protein.
It is made with ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low-Carb Pasta Shells, which have only 8 grams of net carbs. They taste and cook like regular pasta, but they bring 36 grams of fiber and only 55 calories per serving.
The recipe calls for pureed pumpkin or winter squash to thicken it. If you choose canned pumpkin puree, be sure not to use sweetened, spiced pumpkin pie mix accidentally! You can use zucchini, spinach, and/or kale instead of cabbage and/or green beans if that is what you have on hand, and any types of beans work fine. You can even use just two cans of beans and add a cup of frozen green peas if you prefer!
Recipe for Vegetarian Bean Soup with Pasta
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 70 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup of green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 15-ounce cans of beans, such as garbanzo, navy, kidney, black, or cannellini (not drained)
- 3 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth, plus 3 to 5 more cups
- 1 15-ounce can of Italian-style or fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¼ cup of tomato paste
- Fresh rosemary from 3 sprigs, or 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 package of ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low-Carb Pasta Shells
- 1 cup of cooked acorn or butternut squash, mashed or pureed, or 1 cup of canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- (Optional) garnishes: parmesan cheese (not vegan), avocado slice, fresh parsley, olive oil, or toasted walnuts
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion, carrot, celery, cabbage, and zucchini, as well as salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Then add the cabbage and green beans. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the beans, 3 cups of vegetable broth, tomato paste, rosemary, and thyme. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil and then lower the heat. Simmer for 1 hour, covered. Stir occasionally to be sure tomato paste is incorporated evenly.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable broth and ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low-Carb Pasta Shells to the pot. Bring it to a boil, then simmer until pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the pureed pumpkin or squash. Soup should be thicker and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Serve the soup in bowls. Garnish with parmesan cheese or other optional garnishes, such as parsley, olive oil, avocado, or toasted walnuts.
- Serve and enjoy!