Skinny Tex-Mex Black Bean Spaghetti with Creamy Avocado Cilantro Sauce
This recipe is a great weeknight recipe when you need something interesting but do not have a lot of time to cook. It comes with great southwestern-inspired flavors and textures and has almost no prep work. Plus, you may have enough creamy avocado cilantro sauce leftover to use as a dip for veggies tomorrow!
This recipe is a meal-in-one. It has protein, vegetables, and healthy fat. The NutriNoodle Organic Black Bean Protein Spaghetti cooks just like regular pasta, but it has only 9 grams of net carbs, or about one-quarter of the amount in regular pasta. It has 10 grams of dietary fiber and 21 grams of protein. Add those numbers to the protein and fiber in beans, cheese, and veggies, and you can see why this recipe is super filling but super healthy! You can add in textured vegetable or soy protein (TVP or TSP) if you like, or chicken or ground turkey for some animal-source protein.
Recipe for Skinny Tex-Mex Black Bean Spaghetti with Creamy Avocado Cilantro Sauce
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ½ cup plain non-fat or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- Dash of salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 box of NutriNoodle Organic Black Bean Protein Spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of diced red onion
- ½ of a jalapeno pepper, seeded and deveined if desired to reduce spiciness
- 2 cloves of peeled, minced garlic
- 1 cup of yellow corn (frozen or the amount from 2 ears)
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 8 ounces of button or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can of Mexican-style or fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ teaspoon of paprika
- ¾ teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Optional: 1 ½ cups of textured vegetable protein (TVP) or textured soy protein (TSP) prepared with vegetable broth
- Optional garnishes and toppings: ½ cup of shredded cheddar or jack cheese or cheddar-jack blend, ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream
- Make the creamy avocado sauce by putting the avocado flesh, Greek yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a blender or food processor and pureeing until smooth. Add additional olive oil as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Set the sauce aside.
- Cook the NutriNoodle Organic Black Bean Protein Spaghetti according to the directions on the package, or bring a pot of water to boil, add the spaghetti, and cook until just before al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the corn, black beans, canned tomatoes, and spices. Add the TVP if using. Stir and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Plate the pasta and divide the tomato sauce evenly between the servings. Drizzle the creamy avocado sauce over each plate and add garnishes as desired. Serve and enjoy!