This is a hearty and simple pasta dish that is easy to make. When you use NutriNoodle Organic Soybean Protein Spaghetti, it has only a fraction of the carbs that you might expect. Plus it is high in protein.
The recipe uses two kinds of mushrooms. Together, they add a meatiness to the dish that makes it more satisfying.
Don't be put off by the large amount of garlic in the recipe. As it cooks, it blends nicely with the olive oil and is not overwhelming at the end. It just gives the dish a unifying flavor to enjoy.
NutriNoodle Organic Soybean Protein Spaghetti is just as easy to cook as regular pasta, but the nutrition is very different. It will not spike your blood sugar! It has 10 grams of dietary fiber and only 8 grams of net carbohydrates. It also has 21 grams of protein, which is the amount in 3 ounces of chicken without containing any meat.
There are a few changes you can make to this recipe to suit your tastes.
- Use 2 tablespoons of olive oil to cook the mushrooms, and 2 tablespoons of butter for cooking the rest of the garlic.
- Add shrimp or diced chicken to the pan when you cook the mushrooms.
- Stir in 2 to 4 cups of spinach leaves at the end of cooking the pasta water to make the sauce.
- Any kind of mushroom works well. Portobello mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, and shiitake mushrooms all have their own characters. You can mix and match, or choose just 1 type to use.
- Sprinkle the pasta with nutritional yeast or ground walnuts if you prefer to keep it completely plant-based or vegan.
Recipe for Quick High-Protein Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio E Olio
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 package of NutriNoodle Organic Soybean Protein Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus another 2 tablespoons
- 6 to 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 ounces of button or cremini mushrooms, washed and cut in chunks
- 3 ounces of oyster mushrooms, washed and sliced
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ounce (¼ cup) of grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- Cook the NutriNoodle Organic Soybean Protein Spaghetti according to the directions on the package. Boil water, add the pasta, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until nearly al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid, and set it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Add 4 cloves of garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes or until juices are released. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in the skillet and add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Then add the red pepper flakes and ¾ cup of reserved pasta water. Cook for three minutes at a simmer.
- Add the pasta, mushrooms, salt, and parsley. Toss until the sauce coats the pasta evenly. Add more pasta water if needed.
- Plate the pasta and top with the parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy!