One Pot Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Fajita Pasta
This recipe is delicious and easy. Plus it is low in carbs, since it uses Great Low Carb Pasta Penne. Each serving of pasta has 7 grams of net carbs.
The pasta in this recipe gets a great flavor because you cook it in its sauce. Flavors of chicken stock, chiles, and tomatoes seep into the penne as it cooks. The cooking is a little slower than when cooking pasta in regular water since the heat stays a bit lower.
You can use spices as listed in the recipe, or a seasoning packet works just as well. Look for a fajita or taco seasoning packet and use a total of half to the entire packet, depending on your taste. You may also need to adjust the salt at the end.
The butter and lime juice added to the sauce near the end are optional. They add a nice creaminess and acidity to the dish.
Recipe for One Pot Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Fajita Pasta
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus 1 more
- 16 ounces of skinless chicken
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into thin slices
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- (Optional) 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 ¾ cup of low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 1 14.5 ounce can of tomatoes with chiles, or fire-roasted or Mexican-style tomatoes
- (Optional) 2 tablespoons of butter
- (Optional) juice from ½ lime
- 1 package of Great Low-Carb Pasta Penne
- (Optional) garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, shredded jack cheese, avocado slices
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot and heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle it with about one-third of the spice mixture. Cook it for 3 minutes. Then turn it over and sprinkle the other side with another third of the spice mixture. Cook it for about 3 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the heat. Cut it into strips or small pieces, about 1 inch. Set the chicken aside.
- Add the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Then add the onions, peppers, and rest of the spice mix. Cook for about 5 minutes or until onion starts to become translucent. Remove the vegetables and set aside.
- Add the broth, cream, and tomatoes to the pot. Add the pasta. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook until pasta is al dente and broth is absorbed. You may need to add more broth if it gets absorbed before the pasta is cooked. Add the butter
- Add the chicken and vegetables back to the pot. Turn off the heat. Stir everything together.
- Plate the pasta. Garnish with any option garnishes, such as chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, shredded jack cheese, or avocado slices. Enjoy!