Did you know it can be easy and delicious to stay on a low-carb diet while enjoying creamy pasta dishes? This low-carb creamy lemon asparagus spaghetti recipe is completely plant-based. It is delicious. It is easy to make. And you can even make it low-calorie if you prefer.
The recipe starts with Veggie Hearts of Palm Noodles by Natural Heaven. They have only 2 grams of net carbs. Then you make a simple olive oil-based dressing, cook the asparagus, and combine the pasta, dressing, asparagus, capers, olives, and herbs. Mashed ripe avocado adds creaminess without any dairy products.
The recipe calls for nutritional yeast, but you can use parmesan cheese instead if you are not following a plant-based diet. You mix in white beans at the end for extra fiber and protein, but you can also add extra protein, such as cooked tofu, shrimp, or chicken.
The recipe calls for asparagus and lemon, but there are many swaps you could make. For example, broccoli florets or zucchini slices would work well, or you can use lime juice and zest instead of lemon. You could puree the white beans and use them to thicken the sauce instead of avocado, or even try pureed butternut squash as a thickener.
Recipe for Low-Carb Vegan Cream Lemon Asparagus Spaghetti
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 packages of Veggie Hearts of Palm Noodles by Natural Heaven
- 1 small lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- (Optional) dash of red pepper flakes
- 16 ounces of asparagus, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) of crushed walnuts
- ¼ to ½ cup of mashed ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup of chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 8 kalamata or Castelvetrano olives, sliced
- Optional garnishes: parsley, basil, halved cherry tomatoes
- Drain the Veggie Hearts of Palm Noodles by Natural Heaven and set them aside.
- Add the lemon juice, half the zest, ¼ cup of olive oil, mustard, and salt and pepper to a small jar, cover tightly, and shake to mix. Or, whisk ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pot. Add the red pepper flakes, onion, and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir often. Add the asparagus and lemon zest, and additional salt if desired. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes until asparagus becomes bright.
- Add the Veggie Hearts of Palm Noodles and lemon sauce, and stir together. Mix in the walnuts, avocado, and nutritional yeast or cheese.
- Heat the mixture and stir well to distribute the avocado evenly. You may need to add ¼ to ½ cup of water, gradually, to get a thinner consistency.
- Toss in the parsley, basil, capers, olives, and beans. Stir and heat.
- Plate, add any additional garnishes, and serve. Enjoy!