Spaghetti and meatballs never get old, but this recipe freshens it up a bit. One new twist is that it uses ground chicken instead of beef for the meatballs. Another new idea is the pesto flavoring in the meatballs and the sauce in place of traditional tomato sauce. Finally, this recipe is low in carbs and high in protein, thanks to using NutriNoodle Organic Soybean Protein Spaghetti instead of regular pasta.
The chicken meatballs are made the regular way, by mixing ground chicken with an egg and seasoning. To keep total carbs down, the meatballs have almond meal instead of cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs. You can use oats, whole-wheat breadcrumbs,or whole-wheat flour if you prefer. And it is always okay to use ground turkey or vegetable protein instead of ground chicken, and to add vegetables such as chopped spinach to the meatballs.
The recipe calls for store-bought pesto sauce. You can make your own, if you prefer, by placing basil leaves, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese, and pine nuts or walnuts in a blender and pulsing the mixture until smooth.
Recipe for Low-Carb Spaghetti and Chicken Meatballs in Creamy Pesto Sauce
Make 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 package of NutriNoodle Organic Soybean Protein Spaghetti
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- ⅓ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of pesto sauce, plus 2 tablespoons
- ¼ cup of minced onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup of almond meal
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced, plus 2 more cloves peeled and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons of warm water
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Cook the NutriNoodle Organic Soybean Protein Spaghetti according to the directions on the package. Boil water, cook the pasta for 3 to 5 minutes or until nearly al dente, drain, and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground chicken, parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons of pesto sauce, minced onion, almond meal, and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Add salt and pepper. Use clean hands to blend the ingredients together gently. Make 8 to 12 meatballs and place them on a plate.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the meatballs. Stir them gently as needed to cook them thoroughly. Place them on a plate.
- Add the other 2 cloves of garlic to the skillet and let them become fragrant, cooking for about 1 minute. Add the sour cream and mix it into the oil and garlic mixture. When it is hot, add the chicken broth, pesto, cornstarch mixture, lemon juice, and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently to incorporate the cornstarch mixture.
- Add the chicken meatballs to the skillet and heat everything. Stir to cover the meatballs.
- Plate the pasta and top with meatballs and sauce. Add any parmesan, basil, or other toppings you like. Serve and enjoy!