Low-Carb Southwestern Black Bean Spaghetti with Avocado Cream Sauce
This recipe yields a hearty, delicious lunch or dinner with a blend of southwestern-inspired flavors and a creamy avocado-based sauce. It is easy to make, and when you use NutriNoodles Organic Black Bean Spaghetti, it is packed with protein and fiber and way lower in carbohydrates than you might expect.
This recipe has a lot of leeway in terms of ingredients. To cut calories and fat, you can reduce the olive oil or swap plain Greek yogurt or fat-free sour cream for the low-fat sour cream in the avocado cream sauce. If you prefer, you can use a red pepper instead of a green one, or even add chopped red cabbage instead of bell pepper. You can also add chicken or cooked ground turkey if you want even more protein.
To save time on the day you are making this recipe, you can make the avocado cream sauce the day before. That gives the flavors a chance to blend together even better! The cream sauce is super easy to make, since you can just measure the ingredients and add them to a blender or food processor.
Recipe for Low-Carb Southwestern Black Bean Spaghetti with Avocado Cream
Makes 6 Servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 medium avocados, pitted and quartered
- 1 cup of low-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of lime juice (lemon is fine)
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 14-ounce (200-gram) packages of NutriNoodle Organic Black Bean Protein Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ cup of diced onion
- 2 tablespoons of diced jalapeño, seeded and deveined
- 16 ounces of chopped button or crimini mushrooms
- 2 cups of frozen and thawed yellow corn kernels or the amount from 3 fresh ears of corn
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 14.5-ounce (or 1 29-ounce) cans of Mexican-style tomatoes
- Optional garnishes: shredded jack cheese, chopped cilantro, salsa, lime wedges
- Prepare the avocado cream sauce by adding the avocados, sour cream, ¼ cup of olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and dash of salt and pepper to a food processor or blender. Pulse gently until the ingredients are blended. Set aside (or in the fridge if you are making it ahead of time).
- Cook the NutriNoodle Organic Black Bean Protein Spaghetti according to the instructions on the package. Or, boil a pot of water, place the pasta in the water, lower the heat slightly and boil, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes, and then strain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion, jalapeno, mushrooms, corn, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt. Cook until onion softens, then stir in the tomatoes.
- Plate the pasta, top with the tomato sauce, and place a dollop of avocado cream sauce on top of each plate.
- Add the garnishes if desired, and serve. Enjoy!