Pasta primavera celebrates spring with its abundance and variety of vegetables, but you can make this colorful recipe anytime! Just cook the pasta and vegetables, add some seasoning, and this delicious dinner is ready! It takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish, so you can make this dish any day of the week.
You may not think of pasta dishes as healthy, but this one is packed with nutritious foods. And, it is low in carbs! Great Low-Carb Pasta - Penne has only 7 grams of net carbohydrates, along with 18 grams of dietary fiber. Plus it has 12 grams of protein.
The recipe is pretty versatile. You can use any color of bell peppers that you like, or use two zucchinis if you do not have a yellow squash. It is also okay to add sliced mushrooms or pieces of asparagus when you cook the bell peppers. If you have grape or cherry tomatoes on hand, cut them in half and toss them in when you add the parmesan cheese.
You can serve this pasta primavera as a dish on its own, or serve it with cooked chicken or fish. It can go well with a side salad, too.
Recipe for Low-Carb Pasta Primavera with Penne
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 package of Great Low-Carb Pasta - Penne
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of red onion, thinly sliced into rings and cut in halves
- Salt to taste
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot, grated or shredded
- 2 cups of broccoli florets in small pieces
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, sliced in rings
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced in rings
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of dried basil
- ½ teaspoon of dried thyme
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces (½ cup) of shredded parmesan cheese, plus 1 more ounce (¼ cup)
- Juice from half of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley, plus 2 tablespoons for a garnish
- Optional toppings: halved cherry tomatoes, chopped walnuts, fresh basil leaves
- Cook the Great Low-Carb Pasta - Penne according to the package directions. Boil water, add the pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until just al dente. Do not overcook. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the carrot and onion, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, and yellow squash, and cook until the vegetables are starting to get tender.
- Stir in the oregano, basil, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the pasta and toss. Season with salt as needed, and add pasta water as needed to thin out the sauce as desired.
- Stir in ½ cup of parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons of parsley.
- Plate the pasta. Top with the remaining parmesan cheese and parsley. Add any additional garnishes, then serve and enjoy!