A warming, hearty soup is always welcome, and better if it is easy and nutritious. This soup gets flavor from Italian chicken sausage, garlic, onion, Italian seasoning, and mushrooms. The orzo adds texture. And the whole thing comes together in a single pot with minimal prep work needed. Great Low-Carb Pasta - Orzo has only 7 grams of net carbs, as well as 18 grams of protein, making it a great addition to this dish.
Like any soup, this one is best when you make it your way! These are some suggestions for variations.
- Turkey or vegan Italian sausage instead of chicken
- Topping the soup with goat or feta cheese instead of parmesan
- Adding cabbage, celery, or carrots when you add the onions
- Adding cooked or canned beans or lentils to boost protein and fiber
The recipe is already low in carbs. If you want to make it even more suitable for a high-fat keto diet, these are some possible choices.
- Using pork sausage instead of lower-fat chicken sausage
- Adding 1 cup of heavy cream and reducing the chicken broth to 3 ½ cups
- Adding 2 tablespoons of butter when you add the broth
- Serving it with extra cheese or adding ½ cup of mozzarella balls
- Serving it with avocado slices
Serve this delicious soup for dinner or as a hearty lunch. It keeps in the fridge for a few days, and the flavors improve. Or, you can freeze leftovers in single-serving portions to defrost when you want them.
Recipe for Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Orzo Soup with Mushrooms
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 package of Great Low-Carb Pasta - Orzo
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 1 pound of mild or spicy Italian chicken sausage, sliced or cut into small chunks
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning
- (Optional) red pepper flakes for spiciness
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of fresh spinach leaves
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- ½ cup of fat-free half and half
- 3 ounces (¾ cup) of grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Optional toppings: fat-free sour cream, diced chives, toasted kale chips
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3 minutes or until the garlic becomes fragrant and the onion starts to soften. Add the mushrooms and sausage and cook for another 5 minutes or until the sausage starts to cook.
- Add the chicken broth, Italian seasoning, canned tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, add the Great Low-Carb Pasta - Orzo, and then lower to a simmer. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the orzo is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and stir. After two minutes, add the fat-free half and half. Stir, then remove from the heat.
- Put the soup in bowls and let cool slightly. Add parmesan cheese and any optional toppings, then serve and enjoy!