Are you a fan of marinara sauce? Do you prefer Alfredo sauce? Or, if you cannot decide, try both! Red and white pasta penne is for people who love both of these classic sauces. It is one of the simplest ways to prepare pasta, and one of the most delicious. Now, it is low-carb and high in protein, thanks to Great Low-Carb Pasta Penne.
The recipe requires almost no preparation. FIrst cook the Great Low-Carb Pasta Penne as you would cook regular pasta, by boiling it in water for 8 to 10 minutes. Then layer the ingredients in a pan and bake. That’s it!
This red and white pasta dish can give you a break if you are always looking to get more protein but are sick of trying to fit chicken or fish into every meal. Each serving of Great Low-Carb Pasta Penne has 12 grams of protein, or as much as in 2 eggs.
The dish is perfectly suitable for low-carb diets as well. Great Low-Carb Pasta Penne has 7 grams of net carbs, or about 80% fewer than regular pasta. With 18 grams of dietary fiber, it can keep you full for hours after the meal.
The recipe has only 4 ingredients, or 5 if you count the optional parsley topping. There are plenty of variations you can try, though. These are some ideas.
- Add a beautiful green color with basil, broccoli florets, or green pepper rings.
- Add another kind of cheese to the top, such as parmesan cheese, blue cheese, or another strong cheese.
- Add cooked diced chicken or fish, or beans, as a layer to increase the protein content.
- Make it lower in fat and higher in protein by blending the Alfredo sauce with cottage cheese, garlic powder, and Italian herbs, and using less Alfredo sauce in the recipe.
- Make your own marinara sauce with canned tomatoes, basil, garlic, and optional vegetables such as onions, green peppers, and mushrooms.
Recipe for Low-Carb, High-Protein, Red and White Pasta Penne
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 package of Great Low-Carb Pasta Penne
- 1 ½ cups of marinara sauce
- 1 cup of Alfredo sauce
- 4 ounces (1 cup) of grated mozzarella cheese
- (Optional) dried or freshly cut basil or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the Great Low-Carb Pasta Penne according to the directions on the package. Boil water, add the pasta, and cook the pasta for 8 minutes or until it is nearly al dente.
- Spread ⅓ cup of marinara sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 9-inch baking pan. Add ½ of the cooked pasta, then ½ of the alfredo sauce, then half of the marinara sauce. Repeat the layers.
- Top the dish with mozzarella cheese. Cover the pan with foil and bake it for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan for the last 5 minutes of baking to brown the cheese.
- Plate the pasta casserole, top with parsley or basil if desired, and serve. Enjoy!