How often do you find a recipe that is low-carb and high-protein, delicious, and actually healthy? This Low-Carb Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Penne Pasta is all of those! In addition, it is easy to make and quick to get on the table. Here is the scoop!
The dish starts with healthy ingredients such as bell peppers, onion, zucchini, and olive oil. They get roasted to perfection.
A low-carb pasta recipe needs low-carb pasta. In this case, it is Great Low Carb Pasta - Penne with only 7 grams of net carbs. You can cook it just like you cook regular pasta, but skip most of the carbs.
Then, toss everything in a delicious and simple sauce made with more heart-healthy olive oil, along with tasty parmesan cheese and Italian herbs. Everything comes together beautifully without much effort. You can serve it with extra parmesan cheese and fresh or dried herbs if you like.
With 12 grams of protein per serving of pasta, this dish already has plenty of protein. But if you are on a high-protein diet, you can definitely add more. Try baking salmon, shrimp, or chicken when you roast the vegetables if you want to add more protein. Or, you can try it with tofu to keep it as a meat-free recipe.
Recipe for Low-Carb, High-Protein Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Penne Pasta
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and in half-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut in quarters and wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into half-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into half-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus another ¼ cup
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of Italian herbs
- 1 ounce (¼ cup) of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package of Great Low Carb Pasta - Penne
- Toppings: more parmesan cheese, freshly chopped oregano or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, toss the zucchini, onion, red and yellow peppers, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and salt and pepper to coat the vegetables.
- Place the vegetables on a baking sheet and roast them for about 30 minutes or until they start to get tender and slightly charred.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the Great Low Carb Pasta - Penne according to the directions on the package. Boil water, add the pasta, and cook until they are nearly al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of cooking water. Set the pasta aside in the cooking pot.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the sauce by mixing the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic, Italian herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in ¼ cup of reserved pasta water.
- Add the sauce and roasted vegetables to the pasta. Toss to coat. If the consistency of the sauce is too thick, you can add 2 tablespoons more of the reserved pasta water.
- Plate the pasta and add optional toppings such as oregano or parsley and parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy!