Low-Carb Green Olive Spaghetti with Broccolini & Whole-Grain Breadcrumbs
This elegant spaghetti dish has a blend of flavors and textures that will have you coming back to make it again. It has a few different components, but it is easy to make and they come together nicely.
When you use NutriNoodle Organic Edamame Protein Spaghetti, you get an extra 20 grams of protein, so you do not even need to add chicken or fish to have a high-protein dinner. To cut carbs further, you can top with sliced almonds instead of the breadcrumbs.
Recipe for Low-Carb Green Olive Spaghetti with Broccolini and Whole-Grain Breadcrumbs
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon, plus 2 tablespoons more
- 3 slices of whole-grain bread, cut into cubes, or about 1 ½ cups of cubes of whole-grain baguette, or ¾ cup of whole-grain bread crumbs
- ½ lb of broccolini, with ends trimmed off
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 package of NutriNoodle Organic Edamame Protein Spaghetti
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, with greens and whites separated
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons of chives, diced
- 1 jar of green castelvetrano olives, drained and halved, or ¼ cup of sliced green canned or jarred olives
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, or about the zest from one lemon
- Juice from half a lemon
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- Prepare the breadcrumbs by pulsing the bread cubes in a food processor until they become coarse crumbs. Set the crumbs aside.
- Boil a large pot of water and add some salt. Blanch the broccolini until it is bright green, or for 2 minutes. Remove it from the water and pat it dry on paper towels. Set it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive in a skillet. Add the breadcrumbs. Allow them to toast, stirring often. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes. They will be crisp and golden brown. Place them on a plate lined with paper towels to soak the excess grease.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and heat it. Add the broccolini and cook, stirring often, until they are crispy and charred. Remove the broccolini from the pan and cut the broccolini into smaller pieces.
- In the pot, bring the water back to a boil. Cook the NutriNoodle Organic Edamame Protein Spaghetti for 3 minutes or until nearly al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving and setting aside 1 cup of pasta water.
- Add the butter to the skillet and heat it until it melts. Add the garlic and cook it for 1 minute. Then add the white parts of the green onions and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dark parts of the green onions with the olives, chives, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Set aside.
- Add ⅔ of a cup of pasta water to the skillet and let it simmer for 2 minutes. Add the pasta and lemon juice, and toss to combine.
- Plate the pasta. Top it with the olive sauce mixture and breadcrumbs. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. Serve and enjoy!