Red and white penne pasta is a staple at Italian restaurants and a great choice when you love both types of pasta sauce. Now you can make this classic dish at home without the load of carbs. It has the goodness of marinara sauce, the creaminess of Alfredo, and the heartiness of penne. They come together in a casserole filled with cheesy goodness thanks to a generous amount of mozzarella cheese.
How can a recipe like this be low in carbs? Instead of using regular pasta, with 40 grams of carbohydrates per serving, this recipe has Great Low-Carb Pasta - Penne. Each serving has only 7 grams of net carbohydrates. It is ultra-filling, due to its 18 grams of dietary fiber and 12 grams of protein. And it has only half the calories as regular pasta, with 100 calories per serving.
This recipe is basic and simple. Basically, you layer red marinara sauce with white Alfredo sauce, Low-Carb Penne, and mozzarella cheese. Then you bake it into a bubbly, cheesy casserole. It is suitable for low-carb and keto diets as written. But there are so many ways you can vary it to fit your tastes and diet plan. Consider these variations.
- High-protein: mix the Alfredo sauce with cooked shredded chicken or fish before layering it into the baking dish.
- Three-cheese: use 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese mixed with 2 ounces of crumbled blue or feta cheese, and top the casserole with 2 ounces of parmesan cheese.
- Chunky red sauce: instead of marinara sauce, make a sauce with Italian tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and garlic.
- Another pasta: change your pasta to another type of Great Low-Carb Pasta, such as spaghetti, Rotini, or Elbows.
- Vegetable: Add grilled or roasted eggplant or zucchini slices as a layer on top of the penne.
This recipe is also great for lunch the next day if there are leftovers. Eat it cold or heat it up for a quick, filling lunch.
Recipe for Keto Red and White Pasta Penne
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 package of Great Low-Carb Pasta - Penne
- 2 cups (16 ounces) of marinara sauce
- 1 ¼ cup of Alfredo sauce
- 1 ½ cups (6 ounces) of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional garnish: freshly chopped parsley or basil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit and prepare an 8 x 8 baking pan or dish.Cook the Great Low-Carb Pasta - Penne according to the directions on the package, but for 2 minutes less. Drain the penne and set it aside.
- Layer the ingredients in the dish. Start with ⅓ cup of marinara sauce, then half the noodles, half the Alfredo sauce, and 1 cup of the marinara sauce. Top that with half the cheese. Repeat with the other layers, ending with the rest of the cheese on the top.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Plate the pasta and top with parsley or basil if desired. Serve and enjoy!