There are a million penne arrabiata recipes out there, but how many of them are delicious, diet-friendly, and made in one pot? This Keto One-Pot Spicy Penne Arrabiata with Turkey Sausage is low in fat, calories and carbs. It is so easy to make. And you will not believe how good it tastes.
The star of the show is ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Penne. It has only 55 calories and 8 grams of net carbohydrates per serving. It also has 36 grams of dietary fiber, which can help slow digestion and stabilize blood sugar. The turkey sausage and parmesan cheese add protein. If you want more protein, just add extra sausage. The recipe still works well!
This recipe is forgiving. You can adjust the heat to your tastes and vary the ingredients according to what you have on hand. For example:
- Use any color of bell pepper.
- Use meatless sausage instead of turkey sausage.
- Use Italian-seasoned tomato paste or regular tomato paste plus Italian herbs, along with water, instead of the tomato sauce.
- Use fresh chopped roma tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes.
- Add cheddar or jack cheese instead of parmesan cheese.
You can serve this meal on its own or with a side salad or some steamed vegetables. The flavors mingle well, and the dish can taste better the next day if there are leftovers or if you want to make it in advance.
Recipe for Keto One-Pot Spicy Penne Arrabiata with Turkey Sausage
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 turkey sausage links, about 4 to 5 ounces, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon of salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper (or more to taste)
- Dash of red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes, optional Italian style or with chilies
- 1 cup (1 8-ounce can) of tomato sauce
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 package of ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Penne
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of light sour cream
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh basil, grated parmesan cheese, cherry tomato halves
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the garlic begins to become fragrant. Add the turkey sausage and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook it evenly.
- Add the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Penne. Cover the pot and lower the heat. Cook at a simmer for 7 to 8 minutes or until the penne is cooked and the water is absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Add the red bell pepper and stir it in. Cook for 3 minutes or until the red pepper is cooked to satisfaction. Adjust the seasonings if needed and turn off the heat.
- Plate the pasta and top with parmesan cheese, basil, and/or cherry tomato halves. Serve and enjoy!