Keto-Friendly Creamy Shells with Sausage, Bell Peppers, and Cheese
This recipe is packed with flavorful ingredients and a dose of heat from red pepper flakes. You can make it in 30 minutes, which means it can be just as fast as waiting for delivery or going to get takeout. And, it is keto-friendly, so you can stay on your diet while eating a delicious pasta dish.
The recipe has a balance of ingredients, flavors, and textures. These are some components.
- Sausage, such as Italian or spicy Italian, for a meaty addition and herbed flavors.
- Garlic, onion, and bell peppers, to add vegetables and antioxidants, as well as color and brightness. You can also stir in spinach or kale near the end of cooking the sauce if you want to add more greens.
- Cream, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese, for creaminess, saltiness, and a savory finish.
- Low-carb pasta shells to bring everything together in a glorious dish. Each serving of ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Shells has only 55 calories and 8 grams of net carbs.
With such a blend of ingredients, this recipe can be a one-dish meal on its own. Or, you can serve it with a side salad to round out the meal without adding carbs or an excess of calories.
Recipe for Keto-Friendly Creamy Shells with Sausage, Bell Peppers, and Cheese
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 package of ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Shells
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ small onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces of smoked sausage, sliced
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- 2 ounces (½ cup) of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces (½ cup) of grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes and toppings: parsley flakes (crushed dry or chopped fresh), more parmesan cheese, toasted sliced almonds
- Cook the ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Shells according to the instructions on the package. Boil water, add the pasta, and cook it until nearly al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water, and set it aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and sausage. Cook until the sausage browns, stirring often.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Stir in the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and then lower the heat to a simmer. Continue stirring to melt in the cheeses completely.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and stir to distribute the sauce around the pasta. Add the red pepper flakes and salt and pepper and stir. Add ¼ to ½ cup of pasta water if needed to thin the consistency. Adjust the red pepper flakes and seasonings if needed. Remove from heat.
- Plate the pasta and add any additional garnishes or toppings, such as parsley, parmesan cheese, or toasted sliced almonds. Serve and enjoy!