Instant Pot Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Shell Pasta with Shells and Mushrooms
A Philly cheesesteak sandwich is turned into a low-carb pasta dish in this recipe using ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta Shells. You can use your Instant Pot multicooker or adopt the recipe for a large pot. The dish is beefy, cheesy, and full of flavors. It is perfect for a low-key weeknight or weekend dinner with family or friends.
This recipe swaps a carb-laden sub from a Philly cheesesteak sandwich with ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta Shells. They have only 8 grams of net carbs and 55 calories.
These are many possible variations on cheesesteak. This one includes onions, green bell peppers, and mushrooms. You can change the types and amounts of vegetables. It is also okay to sub in ground turkey for beef, and use sour cream instead of half and half or cream. American, provolone, and mozzarella are other common cheeses.
Recipe for Instant Pot Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Pasta with Shells and Mushrooms
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 12 ounces of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ of a medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 8-ounce package of mushrooms, washed and chopped
- (Optional) 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 ⅓ cup of beef broth
- 3 ounces of cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream or half and half
- 1 package of ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta Shells
- 8 ounces (2 cups) of shredded swiss or cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings and garnishes, such as extra cheese, grilled peppers or onions, or tomato slices. Serve and enjoy!
- Set your Instant Pot to saute. Once it heats up, add the butter and let it melt. Add the ground beef and let it cook for 2 minutes. Then break up the meat and let it continue to cook until it has browned.
- Stir in the salt, black pepper, tomato paste if using, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir in the garlic, onion, green bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the ketchup and beef broth. Add the ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta Shells and stir until they are submerged under the liquid. Cover the Instant Pot and carefully check to make sure the valve points are set to Sealed.
- Adjust the setting to Manual and set the time to 5 minutes on High Pressure.
- When it beeps, change the valve position to Vent. Remove the cover, being careful not to let the steam touch you or to let it splatter. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Gently stir in the cream cheese and cream while the Instant Pot is set on Saute. They should melt in and make the mixture creamier.
- Top with the shredded cheddar or swiss cheese and stir gently. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Plate the dish and add optional toppings and garnishes, such as extra cheese, grilled peppers or onions, or tomato slices. Serve and enjoy!