Diet-Friendly Creamy Rotini Pasta with Chicken and Swiss Chard
This recipe is nutritious and flavorful. It seems decadent because of the creamy sauce and breaded chicken. But it is low in carbs because of the ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Rotini. And it is easy to make. The chicken, low-carb pasta, cheese, and swiss chard come together in a unified dish that you can serve to kids or to company. It goes well with fresh tomatoes or a fruit salad.
Recipe for Diet-Friendly Creamy Rotini Pasta with Chicken and Swiss Chard
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 package of ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Rotini
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard stems and leaves, washed dried, and chopped, with the leaves separated from the stems
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 8 ounces of skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt, or to taste
- Dash of black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup of whole-wheat flour
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ brown onion, minced
- ¼ cup of half and half
- 1 ounce (¼ cup) of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional toppings and garnishes: parmesan cheese, halved grape tomatoes
- Make the ThinSlim Foods Impastable Low Carb Pasta - Rotini according to the instructions on the package. Boil water, add the pasta, and cook until nearly al dente. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. In a small bowl, mix the flour with salt and pepper. Place the flour mixture on one plate and set out another plate to place the chicken on once it has been dipped in the flour. Place the egg in a separate bowl and whisk it.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg and then into the flour mixture to coat it on both sides. Then place it onto the plate.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the chicken. Cook it for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until browned. Then remove it from the skillet and place it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the garlic, onions, and Swiss chard stems to the skillet and cook until the onions are starting to soften and the garlic is fragrant. Add the Swiss chard leaves and cook for another minute and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Then cook over low heat, with the skillet covered, for 4 minutes.
- Put the cooked chicken pieces into the skillet. Stir. You may need to add a tablespoon of olive oil or water to allow everything to combine well.
- Add the cooked rotini to the skillet and toss until the rotini is completely coated with the sauce.
- Add the half and half and mix as the dish continues to cook slowly over low heat. Simmer for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Plate the pasta and top with parmesan cheese and grape tomato halves if desired. Serve and enjoy!