When dinner time comes, do you sometimes wish you had a simple yet elegant recipe to try? This creamy vegan low-carb lemon asparagus pasta is easy to make but packed with different flavors and textures. Plus, it is packed with protein, so you can be sure of filling up without going off of a low-carb diet.
How can a pasta recipe be so low in carbohydrates? NutriNoodle Organic Edamame Protein Spaghetti has only 7 grams of net carbs, including 18 grams of total carbohydrates and 11 grams of dietary fiber. It also has 20 grams of protein.
NutriNoodle Organic Edamame Protein Spaghetti may fit into a low-carb diet, but it does not have any artificial ingredients. Its only ingredients are organic green soybeans and water. Plus, it is quick and easy to cook, just like regular pasta but faster.
This recipe is plant-based and versatile. Broccoli florets can substitute for the asparagus if asparagus is not in season. If you are not on a strictly plant-based diet, you can top it with parmesan cheese. For extra protein, you could toss in cooked seitan or diced chicken breast when you mix the pasta together with the lemon sauce.
Recipe for Creamy Vegan Low-Carb Lemon Asparagus Pasta
Makes 4 servings
- 2 large lemons
- ¼ cup of olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 package of NutriNoodle Organic Edamame Protein Spaghetti
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup of diced onion
- 1 lb (about 1 bunch) of asparagus, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- ½ cup of walnuts, crushed
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- ¼ cup of kalamata olives, pitted and cut in half
- Handful of parsley, cut
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, cut roughly
- (Optional) 1 14.5-oz. can of garbanzo beans
- Zest the lemons. Divide the zest into two halves. Set aside.
- Juice the lemons.
- Add ⅓ of a cup of lemon juice to a bowl. Add ¼ cup of olive oil, Dijon mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper. Whisk to combine. Set the lemon sauce aside.
- Cook the NutriNoodle Organic Edamame Protein Spaghetti according to the package instructions. Boil water, add the pasta, and cook until the pasta is nearly al dente.
- Drain the pasta, reserving the liquid. Set the pasta and liquid aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Add the asparagus pieces and half of the lemon zest. Cook for 4 minutes, until asparagus is still crisp-tender but starting to get tender. Remove from heat.
- Mix the spaghetti, lemon sauce, walnuts, and nutritional yeast together.
- Return the mixture to the heat and mix together. Add reserved pasta water as needed to make the texture right. Remove from heat.
- Add the rest of the lemon zest, parsley, basil, kalamata olives, and garbanzo beans if desired.
- Plate the pasta and serve. Enjoy!