Pasta salad is now a healthy food! Even though it is still full-flavor, this recipe has about half the carbs as regular pasta salad, and it has no mayo. It is packed with veggies and even though it is vegetarian, it is rich in protein. Make it ahead of time for a cold dinner or an instant lunch.
The recipe combines high-protein pasta with fresh, colorful vegetables, heart-healthy olive oil, and flavorful olives, spices, and herbs. It is easy to make. You simply cook the pasta, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing, and combine everything.
The pasta in this recipe is Carba-Nada Reduced Carb Pasta by Al Dente Pasta Company - Fusilli. It has only 17 grams of net carbohydrates, including 7 grams of dietary fiber. Possibly even more remarkable is its 15 grams of protein. That means you can have a high-protein meal without any meat, if you choose. And if you want to add meat, that’s easy enough, too! Just add it in when you mix the vegetables and pasta together.
The recipe is forgiving and versatile.
- You can use any type of vegetables. Just aim to add about 4 cups. Snow peas, shredded carrots, and chopped zucchini are possibilities.
- Kalamata olives work fine, too.
- Feel free to add mint leaves or capers for a different flavor profile.
- Toss in cooked shrimp, salmon, chicken, or garbanzo beans if you want to bump up the protein.
- You can skip the parmesan cheese if you want to keep the recipe completely vegan or plant-based.
- Add walnuts if you want a different kind of crunch than the vegetables.
Recipe for Colorful Supreme High-Protein Fusilli Pasta Salad
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 package of Carba-Nada Reduced Carb Pasta by Al Dente Pasta Company - Fusilli
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1 cup of cherry or grape tomatoes, in halves
- ½ cup of sliced black olives
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- 1 packet of low-calorie sweetener, such as stevia or monk fruit
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 ounce (¼ cup) of parmesan cheese
- Optional for serving: parmesan cheese, sprigs of parsley, slices of lemon
- Cook the Carba-Nada Reduced Carb Pasta by Al Dente Pasta Company - Fusilli according to the directions on the package. Boil water, add the pasta, and cook for 8 minutes or until nearly al dente. Drain the pasta and rinse it under cold water. Drain it again.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white vinegar, low-calorie sweetener, parsley, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Put the pasta in a large bowl and add the vegetables and olives. Mix them together. Pour the dressing over and toss everything until the pasta is coated. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Plate and top with optional parmesan cheese, parsley, and lemon if desired. Serve and enjoy!